Nathaniel Richards and his wife gave birth to their first child, a son named Reed. As a child, he demonstrated remarkable intelligence, well ahead of that of his peers. While his father wanted him to pursue sports, Reed devoted himself to the science instead. His father often found him cannibalizing household appliances in an effort to create something never before seen by man - this in fact annoyed his father.
Reed's heightened intellect naturally made him the subject of ridicule at his school. Fortunately, he managed to become friends with the school's star linebacker, Ben Grimm. Ben generally associated with Reed in order to get help with his biology homework. But he valued him enough to help him against the school bullies. When Reed was only ten years old he began developing schematics for a device that could transmit matter across the dimensional plane. This scientific discovery grabbed the attention of the Director of Mainland Technology Development, Dr. Franklin Storm. Storm recommended him for induction into a special government think tank - a program that recruited young geniuses in the hopes of creating the scientific leaders of the future. Franklin approached Reed's parents for their permission, and explained that the government would pay them the nominal fee for allowing them to take Reed under their care.
At New York City, Reed was brought into the Baxter Building, the central hub for the Mainland Technology Development. The Baxter Building provided him with all of the resources at their disposal, they even developed an oscillating window that could peer into an otherworldly plane of reality known as the Null-void, a second dimension full of toxic air and dangerous creatures.Storm introduced Reed to his "greatest achievements", his adoptive daughter, Sue who is very intelligent and independent, and her younger step brother, Johnny Storm is a thrillseeker and troublemaker but is also smart and charismatic. The three of them got along very quickly. For the next several years, Reed continued to work on his teleportation technology while trying to crack the formula for human being inter dimensional space travel. He also gets closer to Sue Storm and the two kids began to have a young romance.
Soon after Reed met Vincent von Doom, the prince of his home country Sokovia and the expert of biotechnology. Vincent was also a brash and arrogant student, known for his enmity toward his fellow students. One day, Reed caught Vincent in his room rifling through his notes. Vincent had taken it upon himself to read Reed's research, adjusting various calculations along the way. Reed was frustrated, but soon discovered that Vincent was equally brilliant. He invited him to work alongside him on the Null-void project. Over the next five years, Von Doom helped Reed with his Null void math, while Reed aided Vincent's work in miniaturized robotics. By the time they reached adulthood, Richards and his team designed a device that could utalize the Null Void to teleport an object from Earth and too the void. The think tank erected a large platform in the Nevada desert for their first major testing phase. the young geniuses were ready to test their Null void transmitter technology on biological matter. Reed even invited his old school buddy, Ben Grimm to watch him test his dream project. Accompanied by a bevy of military officers and scientists, Reed Richards, Ben Grimm, Susan Storm, Johnny Storm, Dr. Storm and Vincint stood at the control panels of the transmit platform. Reed looked back at Dr. Storm to thank him for all his help and Susan suddenly holds Reed's hand, Vincent took note of this as he also had feelings for Susan Storm.
The Fantastic Four
What the five didn't realize however, was that there was a miscalculation on the transmitter device. They activated the machine hoping to teleport an apple into the Null Void. Instead, they tore open a dimensional breach in space and all five disappeared in a binding flash of light. Reed was found unconscious several yards away and was quickly taken to government custody. The cosmic rays that came from the breach left Reed the ability to bend, stretch and expand his body in any imaginable way. Ben, Sue, and Johnny had also developed powers of their own and were rounded up by the military and were brought back the Baxter Building for testing, however, no one couldn't find Vincent. Reed believes that Vincent maybe trapped inside the Null void portal. Reed designed specialized blue suits for Ben, Johnny and Sue to have, made from unstable molecules which helped keep up with their conditions and abilities and to help them stabilize, control, and contain their abilities. Reed was then approached by Nick Fury, the director of SHIELD. Fury conscripts him to open another portal to the Null Void in exchange for finding Vincent as he hopes that Vincent could be still alive in the portal and wouldn't wish to abandon his partner. Soon Reed, Dr. Storm, Sue, Nick Fury and Johnny watch SHIELD explorers arrive in Null void. Explorers find Vincent on a seemingly deserted planet, who can now control the elements, as well as having telekinetic abilities, and bring him back to Earth but was driven insane by the experience. Unknown to them, they brought back visitors.
They soon encountered an alien known as Annihilus who is an inhabitant of the Null Void who wanted to take over earth's solar system so his race could survive, and they weren't gonna take it over peacefully either as he brings along an army of other alien species known as Arthrosians to start a universal scale invasion known as "The Annihilation wave". After the team (Reed, Ben, Sue and Johnny) went public battling the alien in Manhattan, Reed began craving the public approval of being a super hero, ditching to find the cure for their powers but instead, embraced them and encouraged the team to do so as well. He balanced his obsessive love of science against his romantic relationship with Susan Storm and his new celebrity hero status and the team was later known as the Fantastic Four.
"More stories to be Added!"
Brilliant mathematician and physicist, Reed Richards is a young humble genius and gifted idealist and is considered a scientific prodigy who has yet to discover his full potential. An intellectual who prefers to examine foes and if possible negotiate with them before actually fighting them. He is often intrigued by the scientific implications of a problem. Reed's meticulous, scientific nature can cause him to be cold and distance toward family and friends, but Reed is also an extremely likable fellow who keeps a pleasant smile on his face and deeply cares for those he is close to.
Powers and Abilities
- Plasticity: Mister Fantastic possesses the ability to convert the mass of his entire body into a highly malleable state at will. How his body's respiration and circulatory systems function at these distorted extremes is as yet unknown. Mister Fantastic can alter his form in a matter of seconds, often much less (depending on the complexity of the shape), Reed can stretch any or all of his body parts long distances; assuming non-human shapes such as a sphere or even a parachute Reed's body is also superhumanly flexible capable of twisting, and bending his body in an inhuman fashion. Reed's abilities allow him to stretch his brain in order to accommodate and solve almost any problem, thus making him effectively a human computer. Mister Fantastic may use his elastic form to contain explosions by enveloping them and allowing their force to expand him. He can enclose and absorb the energy of a large explosive, on the order of 8 to 12 pounds of TNT (excluding exotic, high density explosives). Such shocks to his system are physically exhausting. After his body absorbs the kinetic energy of a ballistic projectile's impact, Mister Fantastic can expel the object back along its trajectory by flexing his body like a trampoline if he is adequately braced.
- Superhuman Strength: Due to his Elasticity, Reed possesses far more strength then a normal human; giving him the force of large a moving car, allowing him to easily overpower humans.
- Movement: Mister Fantastic can move at great speeds by stretching to his destination.
- Elongation: Mister Fantastic can extend his limbs, torso, or neck to great distances: the maximum length he can distend before his body segments become painful is about 1,500 feet. (Although he can extend discrete body parts, such as a single finger, an ear, or an eye, he seldom if ever isolates such parts in his elongations.)
- Dense Flesh*: Due to his Elasticity, Reed possesses far more durability then a normal human; his body naturally cushions almost every impact and stretches on its surface so only when he is in his normal form can anything pierce his flesh.
- Redirect Projectiles: After his body absorbs the kinetic energy of a ballistic projectile's impact, Mister Fantastic can expel the object back along its trajectory by flexing his body like a trampoline if he is adequately braced.
- Fist Weapons: Mister Fantastic's personal favorite ability, Reed can form his fists into large hammers, maces, etc., which improve his physical effectiveness in hand-to-hand combat.
- Shape Changing: Mister Fantastic can stretch, deform, expand, or compress his entire body or parts thereof into any contiguous shape he can imagine for a variety of uses. He can also alter his basic physical features, allowing him to take on the appearance of any other man with similar hair and skin tone.
- Genius Intellect: Reed Richards is a child prodigy and possesses a keen scientific intellect, decades ahead of his time. This intelligence has recently been augmented by his new powers. Reed possesses a mastery of electrical, mechanical and aerospace engineering, electronics, chemistry, all levels of physics, and human and alien biology. Reed holds multiple doctoral level degrees in theoretical and applied physics fields. Richards' IQ is 267.
- Impact Suit: Reed, like the rest of the Fantastic Four, wears an impact suit that can adjust itself to his abilities. To this end, whenever Reed stretches or compresses himself, the suit takes on the same malleability his body possesses.
- To be Added
- To be Added
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Reed Richards (Earth-981)
- Character Gallery: Reed Richards (Earth-981)
- Quotations by Reed Richards (Earth-981)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References