Norman was born to a wealthy family but his father lost it, leading them to poverty. In his shame his father Amberson became abusive towards his family. Psychologically so towards his son. Amberson would tell Norman stories of a creature called the "Demogoblin" to frighten him and in order to try and get him to "man up" from his fears would lock him in a dark room of the rundown Osborn estate during stormy nights where Norman would come to fear that the Demogoblin was stalking him.
However, Norman had a keen intellect and managed to get a scholarship to Empire State University where he would meet a fellow brilliant mind in Otto Octavius when both took a course under the up-and-coming professor Miles Warren, and together they'd start a business together. Since Norman put up the bulk of the financing, they called their company Osborn Chemical, or Oscorp. Something that Otto became embittered about but didn't argue against as he was whilst arrogant in his abilities to timid to fight back on it. Becoming Norman's chief-assistant and lab partner. One of Norman's long-term projects was seeking to create a performance enhancing serum in the same vein as the super soldier serum that created Captain America.
Norman went on to marry his college sweetheart Emily, however she'd not too long after die due to complications during the birth of their son Harry. Something that Norman just couldn't let go of.
Norman also began to run in the same circles as other members of New York's elite like the fashion company mogul Roderick Kingsley and through him wound up joining into an exclusive and super-secretive men's group called the Kobold Club that was composed of several of the world's elite including the likes of politicians, businessman, and celebrities. Every year they put on a summer camp outing in a site called Kobold Grove where they'd come together for what they claimed was a mere vacation away from the stresses of their normal lives but was long rumored to be a place where shady backroom dealings transpired. A camp in which mock pagan ritual would take place and a giant statue of a goblin stood. And after awhile Roderick, the club's chairman, would consider inviting Norman into their innermost circle.
Norman became a particularly shark-ish businessman and developed criminal ties. One of which was New York's very own Kingpin of crime. With the appearance of Spider-Man who had begun meddling in his affairs and refused an offer to take bribes from him to look the other way on crimes of his choosing, he decided to reach out to Norman with the offer to help create supervillains to distract the hero from his operations in exchange for money and a supply of test subjects for his lurid experimentation. Norman agreed and that would result in the emergence of a number of Spider-Man's foes.
As the Green Goblin Norman would wage war against the Kingpin in a bid to take over New York City's criminal underworld. Eventually managing to amass a good number of followers. Eventually the Kingpin would become desperate enough to break out Dr. Octopus and some other super-powered criminals from prison in order to take both he and Spider-Man on. Dr. Octopus taking charge as the leader of the team that came to be known as the Sinister Six. The Green Goblin however knew how to play this to his advantage.
After his initial defeat at their hands that he barely escaped, Norman went to Spider-Man with the offer of working together to find a way to defeat them. He reluctantly accepted with the plan to capture him afterward, but regrets it when he sees that the Goblin is going to take out a swath of civilians in a trap for them. Leading to Spider-Man turning on and having to fight him as well.
However it would be his familiarity with Otto Octavius that'd give Osborn a winning strategy. He knew that Otto was an insecure but arrogant man who always resented feeling underappreciated or like a second fiddle. So taunted him over his having become nothing more than a bulldog for the Kingpin. That along with an assassination attempt on his life framed to look like it was Kingpin's doing would eventually lead him to having the Six turn on him.
Harry would eventually discover that his father was the Green Goblin when he found him in human form collapsed in the lab. When he asked Norman about this he feigned ignorance, telling him that he was not sure. But that ever since an accident in the lab blew up on him he's been having black outs. Coming to convince his son that the Green Goblin was in fact an alternate personality. Helping to win over his sympathy and getting him to refuse to turn him in to the authorities.
Powers and Abilities
- Green Goblin Transformation: Due to the combination of his super-soldier serum and the goblin force that Norman injected into himself, Norman has the ability to partially tap into the Goblin Force. As a result, Norman undergoes a physical transformation, becoming the Green Goblin (as pictured above). In this form, Norman gains access to various powers.
- Superhuman Strength: Norman becomes superhumanly strong hence he possesses an extreme strength capacity potential. So with that said, Norman, as the Green Goblin, can easily overpower humans by sending them flying and lifting them up with one hand or by hurling them around, and can also lift extremely heavy objects, crush and break through wood panels and templates, can bend metal, and can punch through glass without gaining injury.
- Superhuman Speed: Norman can run and or exercise as well as operate at superhuman speeds hence his overall body equilibrium is also heightened although he isn't nearly as fast as speedsters. With his speed, he can outrun vehicles.
- Superhuman Stamina: Norman can operate or maintain continuous physical motion in activities or simply in his movements for prolonged periods of time without getting tired or weary in the process.
- Superhuman Durability: The transformation fortifies all of Osborn's bodily tissues, making them far tougher and more resistant to injury than normal humans. While Osborn can be injured by something along the lines of a knife or small conventional bullets composed of conventional material, he is very resistant to great impact forces and blunt trauma. He can withstand powerful impacts, such as falling from several stories or being repeatedly struck by a superhuman enemy, that would severely injure or kill a normal human with little to no injury to himself.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: If Osborn does sustain injury, his body's increased metabolism allows him to heal damaged tissue much faster and more extensively than a normal human is capable of. While not nearly as efficient as the healing powers possessed by Wolverine, he can heal from injuries that would prove lethal to an ordinary human.
- Superhuman Agility: The Goblin's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: His reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Genius Level Intellect: Aside from his physical advantages, the serum also greatly enhanced Norman's already highly above average intellect, making him a true genius capable of making progress in advanced areas of genetics, robotics, engineering, and applied chemistry that most professional scientists can scarcely comprehend.
- Expert Marksman: As the Green Goblin, Norman uses various hand-held throwing weapons such as explosives and razor projectiles which he will throw with great aim rarely ever missing his target. He is also a skilled sharpshooter with various firearms.
- Skilled Combatant: He is a skilled unarmed combatant that is capable of using most weapons proficiently.
- Mental Instability: Although a scientific genius, Osborn's mental condition is unstable. The Goblin formula greatly increased his intelligence but cost him his sanity, resulting in excessive arrogance and delusions of grandeur. Thus, it can lead him to make irrational decisions.
- Pride: Osborn's insanity has weakened his overall thought processes and views on reality. He believes that he cannot be defeated and often underestimates his opponents.
- Green Goblin Armor: His armor suit provides Norman some moderate protection from physical trauma.
- Goblin Glider: capable of great maneuverability and speeds of up to 90 miles per hour. It was capable of supporting about 400 lbs including Norman's weight (and far more for very brief periods of time). Top speed and a full normal load would exhaust the fuel supply in about one hour. The main microprocessor assisted manual controls were behind the head of the glider, and later modifications added voice-activated radio-linked controls integrated into the Green Goblin's mask. The goblin glider was steered primarily, however, by the weight and attitude of its rider. The Green Goblin's boots locked into the stirrups of the glider electromagnetically.
- Explosives: The Green Goblin created and utilized various concussive, incendiary, and other specialized explosives in his career, most in the form of miniature jack-o'lanterns. The Goblin usually carried these in a shoulder bag, nicknamed his "bag of tricks".
- Incendiary: The incendiary grenades ignited almost soundlessly and released enough heat to melt through a three-inch thick sheet of steel.
- Smoke/Gas: He also carried a variety of smoke and gas-emitting bombs, which were surrounded by a light plastic mantle that fluttered like a wraith when the bomb was thrown. Other gas bombs emitted hallucinogenic gases, and others released a specially concocted gas that could neutralize Spider-Man's spider sense for a limited period of time.
- Flying Razor Bats: The Green Goblin sometimes threw razor sharp bat shaped projectiles which could slice into or ram and impale themselves into opponents.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Norman Osborn (Earth-515)
- Character Gallery: Norman Osborn (Earth-515)
- Quotations by Norman Osborn (Earth-515)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References