MacDonald Gargan was an investigative journalist who worked for the Daily Bugle and hoped to make a name for himself, particularly setting his sights on finding out the true identity of Spider-Man after being given the assignment by JJ. After several failed attempts and piece of public humiliation Gargan became particularly obsessed with bringing him down. J. Jonah Jameson saw in him an opportunity and gave him the chance for payback against Spider-Man by putting him through an experiment that could give him the power to be a superhero to challenge him. Becoming the Scorpion-Man, he was endorsed by the Bugle and his identity was known to the public. Jameson priding him in contrast to Spider-Man as someone "without anything to hide". As Scorpion-Man Gargan would come to blows with Spider-Man, and also targeted the criminal organization ran by New York's premiere crime boss the Kingpin. Kingpin would, similarly as he did to Spider-Man after he showed up, tried to bribe Gargan into "looking the other way" on certain crimes of his choosing. Gargan refused, and that led to both his then best friend and girlfriend being hospitalized by some of the Kingpin's men which sent Gargan into a rage.
Powers and Abilities
- Superhuman Strength: MacDonald Gargan possesses extreme superhuman strength in his Scorpion complex. MacDonald, with his strength as the Scorpion, is able to lift approximately 15 tons, and as such, he can easily overpower humans, and can lift extremely heavy objects, uproot trees and use them as weapons. On several occasions, he has proven capable of even overpowering Spiderman himself.
- Superhuman Speed: Gargan can run and or exercise as well as operate at superhuman speeds hence his overall body equilibrium is also heightened although he isn't nearly as fast as speedsters. With his speed, he can outrun vehicles.
- Superhuman Stamina: Gargan's musculature generates considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human. Originally, he could exert himself at peak capacity for several hours before fatigue began to impair him.
- Superhuman Durability: As Scorpion Gargan had superhuman durability. The scorpion suit was capable of shiedling Gargan from bullets from small-arms weapons firing conventional ammunition. Gargan was also able to survive heavy impacts and blunt force trauma without sustaining injury .
- Superhuman Agility: Gargan's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete .
- Superhuman Reflexes: Gargan's reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Wall Crawling: Though he typically punches holes in walls to use as hand-and-footholds, Gargan is capable of adhering to solid surfaces much like Spider-Man.
- Scorpion Sense: His Scorpion suit is also designed to tap into his Scorpion Sense, which allows him to sense danger similar to Spider-Man.
- Scorpion Suit
- Transparent Membrane: Mac Gargan's eye holes are covered by a transparent membrane rigged to dissolve Spider-Man's webbing, should Spider-Man try to blind him.
- Electro-Mechanical Tail: The Scorpion's battle suit is equipped with a superhumanly powerful tail that he can whip at speeds up to over 90 miles per hour. His tail is approximately 10' in length. His tail is powered by a self-contained power pack mounted on the back of his battle suit. The tail is connected via a cybernetic link to the fine muscles of his spinal column when he dons his suit, enabling him to direct the tail by involuntary nerve impulses and activated by his mental commands. Internally, the tail consists of a series of separated circular plates connected by a matrix of steel cables. Solenoids contract the cables and manipulate the tail, allowing it to whip at speeds of over 150 feet per second. The tail is also armored, and is tipped with a spike, making it deadly in combat. He has mastered the use of his tail to the point that he can use it as both a bludgeon, projectile launcher, or as a fifth limb. By coiling his tail behind him and using it as a spring, the Scorpion can propel himself over 30 feet into the air. Over the years, he has modified and enhanced it countless times, acquiring upgrades from the likes of Justin Hammer and the Tinkerer, who equipped it with a poisonous barb with venom installed or a form of hypnogen, electrical blasts (he could also channel electricity through it to shock anyone who tried to grab him by the tail or short-circuit electrical equipment), laser blasts, acid blasts, and mace gas.
- Retractable Pincers: The Scorpion's gloves on his costume grant him miniature pincers on each hand that enable him to literally rip through Spider-man's webbing.
- Scorpion Armored Suit: As the Scorpion, Mac Gargan wears a full-body battle suit, which has undergone upgrades in his career. These were always courtesy of third party suppliers - since Gargan himself possesses no aptitude for engineering. Dr. Farley Stillwell created his original suit, with funding provided by J. Jonah Jameson. Later versions were provided by Justin Hammer, and other large corporations and governments seeking to maximize the lethality of their hired assassin. The most recent design consisted of an inner woven Kevlar layer, covered with a thick layer of insulation/padding, and topped with a high-tech composite armor plating, making him impervious to small firearms.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Mac Gargan (Earth-515)
- Character Gallery: Mac Gargan (Earth-515)
- Quotations by Mac Gargan (Earth-515)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References