Powers and Abilities
- Telekinesis: This is Jean's original and primary power. Originally, she enhanced her concentration by channeling her abilities through her eyes and hands. Eventually, she required neither. Her telekinetic abilities enable her to manipulate matter with the energy of her thoughts: levitate herself or other objects, propel or manipulate them however she wishes, stimulate individual molecules to create heat, and generate concussive force or protective shields (making her almost completely invulnerable as well as crush objects in these shields). Jeanne will be able to create a micro black hole, and levitate an entire city. In addition, Jeanne’s psionic fine-motor control allows her to manipulate matter on the sub-atomic level; demonstrating the ability to alter molecular valences, rewrite her own genome, move the chemicals in someone's brain around, disassemble complex devices explosively (separating every last component, such as screws, nuts, circuit boards, etc.), and just as quickly and easily assemble complex devices. Her telekinesis will allow her to redirect security lasers around her body and get past even the best security system. Her control and power is so great and finely tuned, that instead of stopping an explosion like most telekinetics, she could just curve the shockwave and shrapnel around her. With finer control of her abilities she will be able to do the following feats:
- Flight: By using her telekinesis to levitate herself, Psyche can fly at incredible speeds. She is able to reach a flight speed of at least twice the speed of sound (Approx. 1500 mph)
- Telekinetic Strength: Can lift up to approx. 50 tons of combined weight (=100,000 lbs).
- Concussive Blasts: Can project her telekinetic energies as powerful blast beams directed from her brain that can affect matter with concussive force. Her telekinetic blasts were possibly the strongest on earth, strong enough to punch through solid steel. Her blasts are able to stun or even kill an opponent.
- Combustion: This advancement in her powers allowed her to cause explosions of any size by stimulating molecular activity. She can also merely combust air molecules to create fire, and then she could direct the fire through her telekinesis.
- Force Fields: Ability to create protective force shields that could deflect even the most powerful of attacks (even filter bacteria from the air). She can sustain shields that can withstand Jovian atmospheric pressures, and even repel nuclear weapon attacks. The upper limits of this ability remain unknown, but it is believed that she could probably protect herself from harm at the ground zero detonation of a 1 kiloton nuclear warhead (4.18 terajoules of energy from the heat, concussion, and radiation effects) with ease. Psyche has also displayed such control over the fields as to shape them precisely, even to conform very closely to her body’s form. There does not appear to be any correlation between field strength and the thickness of the telekinetic fields.
- Telekinetic Defense: the ability to freeze projectiles in mid-air or deviate the path of projectiles, protecting her from oncoming attacks.
- Biophysical Control: The ability to control living organic tissue, causing muscles to cramp, skin to break, or blood vessels to burst.
- Ensnare Opponent: The ability to constrict a foe using their own clothing and hair, or even control their gross movements, providing their clothes are durable enough.
- Telekinetic Animation: The ability to cause inanimate objects to move according to will by projecting part of her psionic energies into them.
- Telekinetic Holograms: Her mental fine motor skills were so acute that she could mentally manipulate dust particles and water vapor to refract light-waves and create holograms.
- Psionic Spikes: The ability to create destructive psionic spikes that destroy the physical objects that the spikes come into contact with.
- Matter Alteration: The ability to alter molecular and atomic structures in such substances
- Matter Disintegration: allows her to alter the molecular structure of an object, becoming able to vaporize, shatter, or break objects at will.
- Enhance Physical Traits: The ability to use telekinesis to enhance speed, strength and fighting skills to super-human levels.
- Intangibility: Could phase through solid matter by mentally shifting her molecules around another object's as she moves forward.
- Invisibility: she can use her telekinesis to bend light around her body and become invisible.
- Telekinetic Sensitivity: That lets her feel the texture of objects she has a telekinetic hold on, feel when other objects come into contact with them, and probe them at a molecular level to identify if they contain alien materials or feel when two things which she has a telekinetic “hold” upon are similarly composed. Also, this ability lets Jeanne overcome any limitations due to vision. When blinded or outside of visual contact, Jeanne can use her telekinesis to extend out and "feel out" the location, allowing her to discern people and objects in that area. As a result, Jeanne can then use her telekinesis to affect them.
- Dimensional Teleportation/Telematerialization: Psyche learned that she could use her telekinesis to transport herself and other objects to any location, including other dimensions, by mentally bending the dimensional barriers that separate one reality from another. In order to teleport to another location in the same dimension, she must travel to another dimension first.
- X-Factor Activation/Negation: Jeanne develops her telekinesis to such a strong degree that she can use telekinesis at a molecular level to activate latent mutant genes in an individual, granting them active mutant powers. It has also implied that, once given in this way, these abilities can be taken away, presumably by returning the appropriate genes to their latent states.
- Telepathy: She can manipulate the minds of others and even higher order animals within a vast, potentially limitless radius. Examples of this include telepathic illusions, telepathic defense, telepathic manipulation, mind-link, and psionic blasts. When she gains enough strength in telepathy, it will come to manifest as a psionic firebird.
- Telepathic Offense: She can manifest her telepathy in a number of offensive ways.
- Psionic Blasts: She can project psionic force bolts which have no physical effects but which can affect a victim's mind so as to cause the victim pain or unconsciousness and turning someone brain-dead.
- Mind Blast: ability to place large amounts of information in another's mind.
- Psionic Siphoning: able to siphon the psychic energies from other psionic mutants. She could then use the stolen psychic energy to boost her own powers or channel the energy into someone else to temporarily increase their psionic abilities. This ability allows Jeanne to temporarily access and use of psionic powers that she doesn't have inherently such as psychometry and empathy.
- Psionic Firebird: She can manifest her telepathy as a psionic firebird; whose claws could inflict both physical and mental damage.
- Telepathic Defense: She can manifest her telepathy in a number of defensive ways.
- Telepathic Cloak: She can mask her presence and the use of her abilities from being detected by other psions and psychic entities. She can extend these defenses to others around her as well. Cloaking via telepathy is not perfect and powerful psis may notice and 'see' through this ability.
- Cloak Mind: Ability to rearrange the “mental engrams” of mutants so their distinctive mutant thought patterns cannot be detected by Cerebro-type devises or by other telepaths.
- Psionic Shield: Ability to erect a psychic shield for protection of herself and of others minds.
- Telepathic Illusions: She can create realistic telepathic illusions and cause people to experience events which are not actually occurring.
- Telepathic Camouflage: She can alter the apparent physical appearance of herself and other people by altering the perceptions of those around her. This can go so far as to make other people believe that the camouflaged people are not there (invisible). A limit, if one exists, is only imposed by the number of people she is trying to fool, not the number of people she is camouflaging.
- Telepathic Manipulation: She can manipulate other people's minds easily, achieving a variety of effects.
- Absorb Information: ability to quickly process and store information, by mental transference.
- Dark Psyche: The ability to release the dark side of a person's personality, either making them seem tougher or evil in anyways.
- Dilate Power: Ability to place “psychic inhibitors” in the minds of mutant adversaries to prevent them from using their powers.
- Download Information: The ability to place large amounts of information in another's mind.
- Heal Trauma: The ability to erase a person’s memories and to heal mental trauma through “psychic surgery,” the power to stimulate or deaden the pain and pleasure centers in a persons brain.
- Induce Pain: Can also induce mental pain merely by touching the brow of her victim.
- Intuitive Multilingual: Capable of intuitively translating new languages.
- Mass Manipulation: The ability to subtly use deep influence upon multiple people, allowing Jeanne to manipulate their perceptions, better judgment, wills and common sense.
- Mental Amnesia: She can erase any awareness of particular memories or cause total amnesia.
- Mental Detection: She can sense the presence of another superhuman mutant within a small but as yet undefined radius of himself by perceiving the distinctive mental radiations emitted by such a being.
- Mental Paralysis: She can induce temporary mental or physical paralysis.
- Mental Sedating: Can telepathically "sedate" her victims so that, if already rendered unconscious, they remain so for as long as she continues to "sedate" them.
- Mind Alteration: She can alter the minds of others by force of will, permanently changing their personality partially or entirely.
- Mind Control: She can control the thoughts and actions of others.
- Mind Link: Ability to develop a mental link with any person which remains as a connection to that individual.
- Mind Possession: She can possess the mind of another, and use that being's body as her own.
- Mind Transferal: She can transfer both her mind and powers into other host bodies if her own physical body could be somehow killed.
- Neural Jumpstart: She can increase the speed of neural signals in the brain, she could increase another mutants powers to incredible levels, but the effect was only temporary.
- Telepathic Tracking: Enhanced psionic senses enable Jeanne to detect and track other sentient beings by their unique psionic emanations (thought patterns contained in the psionic portion of the spectrum), especially if they pose a threat to her well-being in her immediate vicinity.
- Astral Projection: She can project her astral form from her body onto astral planes or the physical planes. In the physical plane she can travel in astral form quickly over vast distances, as long as she is within her telepathic range. She only appears visible to others if she alters their perceptions to see her. In the astral plane, she can mentally create psionic objects and manipulate the aspects of her environment. Additionally, she can communicate with others astrally through her own will, or through contact with the thoughts and memories of others.
- Telekinetic Projection: Jeanne is able to access her telekinetic abilities through her astral form. At first, Jeanne could merely access her telepathic abilities while in astral form. Eventually, she could access her telekinesis to grant her a corporeal form. Later, she could also accomplish other telekinetic feats through her astral form.
- Astral Dupe: Through further training, Jeanne is able to split her consciousness and powers through her physical and astral form, granting her a "clone."
- Phoenix Force Avatar: This mutation makes her the physical embodiment of the Phoenix Force; she and the Phoenix itself has stated that they are in fact one and the same being. The Phoenix powers are infinite. The Phoenix Force is a cosmic entity that embodies chaos, especially the the act of creation (and necessarily destruction - that creation may begin again), and derives its power from those yet unborn. Jeanne's body is permanently tied to the Phoenix Force as a nexus. Phoenix Force thinks that Jeanne is its "host, body, and self." The Phoenix Force gives her vast psionic ability to manipulate time, space, matter, energy, and thought for virtually any purpose. Phoenix can also revive, absorb, re-channel and preserve any kind of life-form, since the Phoenix is the sum of all life-force. The Phoenix Force can significantly boost her mental abilities allowing her to rearrange matter at a molecular level, to fly unaided through space, create intense heat and thermal energy by stimulating molecular activity to create fire, flames, and concussive blasts. She can create fire under any condition, including while submerged, and she can manipulate thermal energy in her vicinity. She can also manipulate the voluntary and involuntary responses in the human body. There is substantial variation in the amount of power she has access to at any point based on her current health, mental blocks (natural or constructed - by herself or others), and sometimes for other more esoteric reasons.
- Cosmic Pyrokinesis: After merging completely with the Phoenix Force, Phoenix is now able to create cosmic fire and flames at will. It is the ability to create, control, and manipulate cosmic flames, flames which are not dependent on oxygen. The source of Phoenix's cosmic flames derives from her ability to manipulate matter at the atomic level, which allows her to generate intense heat, combustion and concussive blasts by stimulating heat molecules, or simply from her access to cosmic energy, or by combining both powers at once to create more powerful cosmic fire. When using these flames offensively, she burns her victims at the molecular and sub-molecular levels; thus no ashes or other combustive by-products are produced. Her cosmic flames are different from flames that are usually created by common pyrokinetics because her flames are not dependent on oxygen, she can create cosmic flames under seemingly impossible conditions like underwater or even in the vacuum of space. When using her Cosmic Pyrokinesis, the flames usually manifest in the shape of a large fiery bird, a Phoenix. As Phoenix, however, she has complete control over her cosmic flames and can shape them however she wishes; as a fireball, fiery claws, or even the appearance of an ordinary fire. The pain caused by these flames can be either mental, physical or both simultaneously. Although her cosmic flames (particularly when augmented by the Phoenix Force) are powerful enough to destroy entire galaxies, Phoenix's control over them is so complete that they only harm what she chooses harm, which she calls it "burn away what doesn't work"; thus, her cosmic fire will burn her enemies until they die or she extinguishes it by her own will, and it has no effect on her clothing or around her vicinity.
- Interstellar Travel: A Phoenix Force avatar can fly unaided through the vacuum of space, and can travel interstellar distances faster than the speed of light.
- Resurrection: The Phoenix Force can resurrect others after they have died. It is unknown if factors such as time since death have an effect on the ability to successfully resurrect a person, nor is it clear how the Phoenix calls back the soul of a person to their body.
- Immortality: Jean and the Phoenix Force are one-and-the-same entity at some fundamental level, and as such Jeanne can never truly die. Upon the death of her corporeal form, Jeanne spends time in the White Hot Room doing 'Phoenix work'. The Phoenix Force can also restore Jean's body to life, although there appears to be some unknown limitation to how quickly it can successfully accomplish this following her death.
- Temporal Manipulation: While acting as the Phoenix Force, Jean can manipulate the past across large temporal distances and with a profound knowledge of the causal effect her actions will have. It may be the case that time as a concept doesn't apply to the White Hot Room.
- Dimensional Sense: Capable of sensing dimensional rifts or anomalies.
- Existence Mastery: since Jean Gray is Phoenix entirely she is able to possesses total control over the entire existence. She can bring anything into existence, freely manipulate all existing things, and return them to nothingness when their purpose is extinguished.
Over the years she will come across situations where she'll need to mentally download abilities from others, which includes-
- Surgeon- To save a future X-Man's life she'll need to learn how to perform surgery from an unwilling doctor.
- Expert Pilot- She'll download this from an X-Man when she is the only one capable of landing an aircraft.
- Master Strategist and Tactician: She will come to learn many skills of leadership involving tactics and strategies as the 2nd in command of field ops.
- Martial Artist- She will come to learn this from training with both Scott and Jeimuzu.
- Master Astral Combat- Over the years, she will come to be a great opponent on the astral plane.
Psyche possesses the normal human strength of a woman of her age, height and build who engages in moderate regular exercise. Also, it can be theorized that Jeanne's maximum telekinetic load without the use of the phoenix force is 50 tons.
- She sometimes experiences strained sanity when the Phoenix Force overwhelms her.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- Jeanne is the Nexus version of Jean Grey-Summers (Earth-616)
- Jeanne is Ororo's best friend
- In this reality, Marvel Girl was suggested to be Jeanne's codename, but she didn't believe that it completely captured her powers so she chose a different name. Also, Scott has been known in several instances to call Jeanne "quite a marvel" in an affectionate way.
- Her codename was inspired by the codename originally used by Earth-616 Dani Moonstar.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Jeanne Gray (Earth-515)
- Character Gallery: Jeanne Gray (Earth-515)
- Quotations by Jeanne Gray (Earth-515)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References