Powers and Abilities
- Stepping Discs: ability to mentally control these yellow rings of glowing light, "stepping discs", which allowed her to teleport from one location to another, which are part of a dimension known as Limbo in the Marvel Universe. This dimension is specifically known alternately as "Demonic Limbo", "Limbo-Belasco", or "Otherplace". However, when Illyana mentally calls for a Stepping Disc she must use Limbo as a midway point before she can teleport to an alternate location. It is not known if she was genetically predetermined to travel through Limbo, or if she did so because, having been spirited there as a child, it was the alternate dimension she was instinctively aware of. Magik has succeeded in teleporting herself across continents, from one continent to another, and even interplanetary and intergalactic distances on occasion. Apparently she can mentally scan Limbo while on Earth in order to locate whoever she wishes to teleport from Limbo down to her on Earth. Unlike most other teleporters in the Marvel Universe, Magik could teleport through time as well as space. She has teleported moments, days or centuries into the past or future. Especially early on, she had difficulty modulating this ability and would often inadvertently travel through time and space when intending to teleport only through space.
- Chronokinesis: Magik was told by Dr. Strange that she had potential for great feats of manipulating time on a wider scale. She discovers her fuller potential once she learns how to differentiate between teleporting through only space or time and space.Through further training and mutation, she can control time by making the tempo of time dynamically increase or decrease, stop, and rewind. She stays in her spatial position, while using this ability. She can encounter her previous self.
- Chronopathy: ability to discern precise time
- Null Causality: ability to go about undetected in the past/future
- Psionic Metronome: ability to speed-up/slow-down/stop the tempo within one’s proximity
- Rhythm Distortion:ability to warp cadences (heartbeats, etc)
- Time Defiance: ability to deny time distortions
- Bullet-Time Effect: The ability to perceive time as though it were slower than it actually is, and to adjust the body's speed and reflexes to match this perception of time. One with this ability could see bullets approaching them, or perceive those with superspeed approaching them, and react to them as though they were moving at the same speed. Can be used to evade nearly any attack, by seeing it like it was moving slower, when in fact you were moving faster.
- Time Travel: The power to bend the fabric of time so that one can travel though it. One can effortlessly travel to future/past epochs. Stays in spatial position. Can encounter previous self.
- Sorcery: Magik is the sorceress supreme of her Limbo dimension. The extent of her powers there are all powerful, and powerful demons of Limbo did not dare challenge her. Magik can probably cast any magic spell that Belasco could, having had access to his store of sorcerous knowledge. Her sorcery was a unique mix of black magic that she learned from Belasco and white magic she was taught by an alternative-reality Ororo Munroe. On Earth she is limited to Astral Projection, a Mystical Sense (ability to detect mystical presences), Simple Spells, and Summoning her Soulsword.
- Limbo Control: Magik’s Limbo, also known as Otherplace, was not a void as such, but rather a small pocket dimension that is tenuously connected to True Limbo where time does not pass in a physical sense and as a result no one can age or die. The matter within Magik’s Limbo could be shaped and transformed by the thoughts and emotions of the sorcerer who is its master.
- Mystical Armor: The more that Magik uses her magical power on any occasion, the more mystical armor appears on her body. The nature and origin of this armor is as yet unknown. Along with the armor, Magik’s appearance would become more demonic including horns, hooves or a tail. The mystical armor is a natural power of whoever rules in Limbo.
- Psionic Shields: she has impenetrable psionic shields, most likely a result of the time she spent in Limbo and the effects of her partially demonic soul. As such even powerful telepaths such as Charles Xavier, Emma Frost and Rachel Summers could not mentally read Illyana's thoughts or sense her psionically.
- Magik is highly skilled in the black magic of Limbo granted by the patron of Belesco Chthon as well as white magic of Earth granted by the patron of Storms lineage Oshtur. Illyana is also highly skilled in ancient weaponry, typically axes and swords. Even without her Soul Sword, she led an attack on hordes of rebelling demons using only an axe without suffering any injuries and succeeding in quelling their rebellion.
- Illyana is bi-lingual. She is fluent in both Russia and English.
Normal human female with moderate regular exercise.
- Mystical Limitations: Magik's magical abilities are far more limited in Earth's dimension.
- Dark Half: However, use of dark magic could also trigger a demonic 'Darkchylde' form.
- Stepping Disk Burden: The farther she travels the less control she has. If she doesn't concentrate while teleporting she can inadvertently teleport through time as well as space. Going through time is far worse than simply traversing space; after such jaunts she is psychically drained and must regain her strength before attempting another great teleport. Magik has sense honed this ability and no longer has difficulty differentiating time and space with vast jumps.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
- Soulsword: The Soulsword is the ultimate embodiment of Illyana's magical strength.
- Mystic Right: The Soulsword is a physical manifestation of Magik’s magical powers as well as the limbo dimension she rules. As the Soulsword is the living embodiment of Illyana Rasputin, whomever owns the sword is considered to be the ruler of Limbo (Otherplace) just as Illyana once was. Only the ruler of Limbo can wield the sword and only the wielder of the sword can rule limbo.
- Dimensional Manipulation: The ruler of Limbo can mentally manipulate the physical appearance of Limbo, allowing it to look/appear as they wish it to.
- Strike the Supernatural: The Soulsword has been shown to only harm magical creatures or objects -- it rarely injures non-magical beings or items.
- Maim the Ethereal: Intangible and ethereal beings can also be struck, as Shadowcat painfully learned.
- Counter/Break Spell: When Magik uses the Soulsword to strike a person who is possessed, enchanted, or otherwise magically controlled or transformed the sword will be able to counter or break the spell.
- Stepping Disc Control: The Soulsword can be used to control Limbo's 'stepping discs.'
- Spell Sword: Illyana has learned to 'draw' spells with the sword using arcane symbols.
- Spell Casting: When holding the Soulsword, it grants the hold the ability to cast or produce magic, even if they do not have the ability to do so.
- Sword Summoning: Magik can store her Soulsword in nothingness and summon it whenever she desires.
- Summoning of Mystical Eldritch Armor: It can also be used to summon promethium battle armor around the wearer.
- Super Strength: When wearing the mystical armor, Illyana displayed a increase in her own personal strength. Shown when she did battle with her, one time, servant S'ym. During the Inferno invasion the two did battle. Illyana would easily grab S'ym and throw him yards away from her with only one arm.
- Augment Magic: Any magic user who holds the Soulsword instantly has their mystic abilities augmented.
- Soul Absorption: With the sword, the wielder is able to absorb souls of others either permanently or to simply store and transfer. If kept in the sword it would increase the swords strength.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Illyana Rasputina (Earth-515)
- Character Gallery: Illyana Rasputina (Earth-515)
- Quotations by Illyana Rasputina (Earth-515)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References