Flint was born to a poor family in a run down part of New York. His father walked out on him when he was young. He turned to crime to support his family which included his mother Hayden and sickly younger sister Penny. He befriended another thug in his neighborhood named Morris Bench and were eventually recruited into a gang. Eventually during an escape from one of the gang's robberies Flint saw that Morris had been left behind and decided to go back to rescue him, both getting caught by Spider-Man and sent to prison. There they were visited by an OsCorp scientist who offered them a chance for freedom from prison, but were to be test subjects in some experiment. Bench was excited by the prospect while Flint was hesitant but eventually agreed so he could leave prison. Thinking it would help his family Flint finally decided to agree as well.
Arvad took them to his beachside laboratory where they met his assistant Mark Raxton. Arvad had gotten his hands on the DNA of the supervillain known as the Absorbing Man and used it to create a formula that would allow people to bond with inanimate elements. Unknown to Marko and Bench, Arvad did not have a great amount of funding and thus was only able to use the basic elements he had around him. He put them in pods that were filled with the gold fluid and then with sand in Marko's, and water in Bench's. One the pods Arvad initially thought that he had failed as only puddles of sand and water had remained, but a couple of hours later Flint and Morris had managed to reform themselves. Arvad saw that his experiment was a success and told his employer Norman Osborn about what happened. Norman then met with Flint and Morris, offering them positions as enforcers for OsCorp. Morris agreed, but Flint hesitated in agreeing until Norman said that they would be paid very handsomely for their surfaces. Thinking of his sister he eventually agreed. And thus Sandman and Hydroman became two of Norman's enforcers for a time.
Powers and Abilities
Body Conversion- Sand: The Sandman possesses the superhuman ability to convert his body into sand by mental command. The sand functions identically to, and appears to be, normal flesh. However, he can convert all or parts of his body into animated sand at will. His brain has attained subliminal awareness of all granulated particles of his body. Through conscious effort, he can affect the degree of molecular cohesion between the numerous adjoining surfaces of his particles and thus cause locomotion of discrete volumes, down to the individual grains.
- Superhuman Strength: As a consequence of having a body composed of animated sand, the Sandman possesses phenomenal superhuman strength, able to lift up to 85 tons under optimal conditions.
- Density Control: His radically mutagenically altered body composition and increased density enable him to compact or loosen the particles of sand that make up his form. Consequently, the Sandman can become as hard as sandstone, or disperse his body so that he becomes invulnerable to physical attacks. A favorite tactic of the Sandman is making himself slightly dispersed when an opponent punches him, and then making himself rock-solid again, entrapping his opponent's appendage.
- Shape-shifting: He can shape his sand-state body into any continuous shape he can imagine, including his forearms into weapons like hammers, spiked maces, and large fists, stretching, elongating, deforming, expanding, flattening, or compressing all or portions of his body at will, like Mr. Fantastic, phase through small openings, etc.
- Sand Blasts: He can project his sand particles outward at high speeds and, when in the shape of a bulky object, with the impact of a large sandbag.
- Reformation: The Sandman maintains mental control of the particles of which his body is composed so that he can reform his scattered grains unless a substantial portion of his body mass has been isolated.
- Sand Conversion: Apparently, he can also convert common grains of sand around him into constituents of his body to replenish portions he might lose track of during battle. In this manner, he can increase his overall size and volume (to some as yet unknown limit), or that of his limbs.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
In the mainstream Marvel continuity of Earth-616 the Sandman's real name is William Baker. In this continuity the alias he used, Flint Marko, is his real name.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Flint Marko (Earth-515)
- Character Gallery: Flint Marko (Earth-515)
- Quotations by Flint Marko (Earth-515)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References