Dr. Braddock set up home in Braddock Manor and became one of the United Kingdom's leading robotics mechanics expert. Ellijabeseu's mom is the daughter of a previous rich South Korean diplomat, ambassador to the UK. Lady Erizabesu and Lord James met at an opera in London while Lady Erizabesu's family were on vacation with their father.
While Betsy's father took on a career of advanced robotics mechanics and artificial intelligence, Betsy's mom was a stay at home mom who raised her children in Kuk Sool Won and various other Korean martial arts techniques, which includes armed combat. Betsy's mom was raised by her father in this fashion, which Betsy's mom wanted to pass on to her children. Betsy's mom throughout her lifetime mastered various arts including Kuk Sool Won. Lady Erizabesu passed on a mixture of these martial arts to her children. For this reason, Betsy was no stranger to martial arts later in her X-Men career. Around the age of 7, Betsy decided that she wanted to go into dancing. By the age of 12, Betsy became a phenomenon throughout London. She seemed to learn to move her body in the ways that she mentally pictured.
By the age of 14, she started to receive offers for a modeling career. She signed on with an agency. She took the UK, and then Europe by storm. She eventually decided to make herself stand out by dying her hair purple. By the age of 15, she was famous throughout the western world. She began guest appearing on numerous British and American television series. Throughout her travels, her mom and brother, Brian, went with her to keep up their martial arts training and private studies.
After arriving back in London following a job in Paris, she, Brian, and her mother were walking to a nearby hotel where they planned on staying the night before heading home. While passing an alleyway, Betsy was suddenly grabbed and pulled in with one of the assailant's hands covering her mouth. "Helllloooo beautifulllll," said the assailant. "I can't wait to have my way with one of the hottest, youngest superstars." Betsy panicked for a few seconds before regaining her composure. Suddenly the assailant was pushed off of her as if by magic. Betsy then looked down to find a purple aura glowing around her hands. By thought, they took the form of two knives. She was at first stunned, but knew she should take this to her advantage in combat. The assailant rushed at her, but Betsy used his momentum against him by causing him to run into the wall. She then stretched her hand towards his head. A psionic knife then passed through his head, and he became unconscious. Betsy then ran out of the alley to find her family looking for her. She told them about the assailant, and how she escaped with her martial art training without mentioning her newly discovered gift.
She continued living her normal day life when Brian and Sharon Xavier showed up on her doorstep. They explained to her that they were pioneers in a new branch of genetics. They explained to her their theory of mutation and the X-Gene. Betsy came to believe in them, and allowed them to run some tests with her. They visited her semi-annually for the next few years. At the age of 18, a young man named Charles Xavier showed up on her doorstep. He explained to her that his parents had recently died, and he found their research. Charles gave her an offer to join him at his new school for mutants, the Xavier Institute. She was devastated by his parents death, and decided that it was in her best interest to join him. Betsy then became one of the members of the first generation of X-Men (what Xavier called his parents' "X-Men", a nickname that they had given their patients).
Powers and Abilities
- Telepathy: High order telepath. She possesses vast mental powers to affect and manipulate the minds of other sentient beings. Psylocke can read minds and communicate mentally with others over long distances. When she telepathically communicates with another person over a distance, that person often perceives her presence as a butterfly-like image bearing large eyes on its wings.
- Telepathic Offense: She can manifest her telepathy in a number of offensive ways.
- Psionic Blasts: She can project psionic force bolts which have no physical effects but which can affect a victim's mind so as to cause the victim pain or unconsciousness and turning someone brain-dead.
- Mind Blast: ability to place large amounts of information in another's mind.
- Psionic Siphoning: able to siphon the psychic energies from other psionic mutants. She could then use the stolen psychic energy to boost her own powers or channel the energy into someone else to temporarily increase their psionic abilities. This ability allows Jeanne to temporarily access and use of psionic powers that she doesn't have inherently such as psychometry and empathy.
- Psychic Knife: Described as "the focused totality of her psychic powers," by intensely channeling and focusing her psionic powers to her hands to create “psychic blades”, razor-sharp edges of pure mental energy which are said to be the ultimate physical manifestation of her powers which she plunges into the minds of her targets directly. She often uses them to disrupt the neurons of her foes by driving the glowing "blade" of mental energy into their skulls. It is able to kill.
- Telepathic Defense: She can manifest her telepathy in a number of defensive ways.
- Psychic Shadow: She is able to mask her presence from others. Her abilities can go undetected and are very difficult to track, even by very powerful telepaths such as Shadow King. She can extend these defenses to others around her as well.
- Telepathic Cloak: She can mask her presence and the use of her abilities from being detected by other psions and psychic entities. She can extend these defenses to others around her as well. Cloaking via telepathy is not perfect and powerful psis may notice and 'see' through this ability.
- Cloak Mind: Ability to rearrange the “mental engrams” of mutants so their distinctive mutant thought patterns cannot be detected by Cerebro-type devises or by other telepaths.
- Psionic Shield: Ability to erect a psychic shield for protection of herself and of others minds.
- Telepathic Illusions: She has the ability to create illusions to make herself seem to be invisible, look like someone else, or make others experience events that are not truly happening.
- Telepathic Camouflage: She can alter the apparent physical appearance of herself and other people by altering the perceptions of those around her. This can go so far as to make other people believe that the camouflaged people are not there (invisible). A limit, if one exists, is only imposed by the number of people she is trying to fool, not the number of people she is camouflaging.
- Telepathic Manipulation: She can manipulate other people's minds easily, achieving a variety of effects.
- Absorb Information: ability to quickly process and store information, by mental transference.
- Dark Psyche: The ability to release the dark side of a person's personality, either making them seem tougher or evil in anyways.
- Dilate Power: Ability to place “psychic inhibitors” in the minds of mutant adversaries to prevent them from using their powers.
- Download Information: The ability to place large amounts of information in another's mind.
- Heal Trauma: The ability to erase a person’s memories and to heal mental trauma through “psychic surgery,” the power to stimulate or deaden the pain and pleasure centers in a persons brain.
- Induce Pain: Can also induce mental pain merely by touching the brow of her victim.
- Intuitive Multilingual: Capable of intuitively translating new languages.
- Mass Manipulation: The ability to subtly use deep influence upon multiple people, allowing Jeanne to manipulate their perceptions, better judgment, wills and common sense.
- Mental Amnesia: She can erase any awareness of particular memories or cause total amnesia.
- Mental Detection: She can sense the presence of another superhuman mutant within a small but as yet undefined radius of himself by perceiving the distinctive mental radiations emitted by such a being.
- Mental Paralysis: She can induce temporary mental or physical paralysis.
- Mental Sedating: Can telepathically "sedate" her victims so that, if already rendered unconscious, they remain so for as long as she continues to "sedate" them.
- Mind Alteration: She can alter the minds of others by force of will, permanently changing their personality partially or entirely.
- Mind Control: She can control the thoughts and actions of others.
- Mind Link: Ability to develop a mental link with any person which remains as a connection to that individual.
- Mind Possession: She can possess the mind of another, and use that being's body as her own.
- Mind Transferal: She can transfer both her mind and powers into other host bodies if her own physical body could be somehow killed.
- Neural Jumpstart: She can increase the speed of neural signals in the brain, she could increase another mutants powers to incredible levels, but the effect was only temporary.
- Photographic Reflexes: Psylocke possesses photographic reflexes. As a result, she is capable of perfectly duplicating any physical movement or action she sees with perfection after watching it only once. This is a specialization of her telepathic ability by using her telepathy to quickly reach into her mind to extract the information she needs to perform a task, and this information is from any thing she has seen or heard done at least once. This use of her telepathy shows a great amount of ingenuity on her part, since not many telepaths think about using their power in this way.
- Telepathic Tracking: Enhanced psionic senses enable Betsy to detect and track other sentient beings by their unique psionic emanations (thought patterns contained in the psionic portion of the spectrum), especially if they pose a threat to her well-being in her immediate vicinity.
- Astral Projection: Can project her astral form from her body onto astral planes or the physical planes, usually in the form of a psionic butterfly. In the physical plane she can travel in astral form over vast distances. In the astral plane, she can mentally create psionic objects and manipulate the aspects of her environment. She can communicate with others astrally through her own will, or through contact with the thoughts and memories of others. Under the effects of the Crimson Dawn her astral form was normally undetectable.
- Telekinesis: Through later mutation and training, she gained this ability to psionically manipulate the physical aspects of reality. She can also move and levitate other people. While she can move objects from a distance and fly as other telekinetics do, she has shown little inclination to do either in combat situations. She can also create telekinetic shields of various sizes and strength and she can fire mental force blasts that can “shatter mountains.” Psylocke at first seemed to find that using her telekinesis in forceful ways was easier than in delicate ways (i.e. shattering a brick wall proving more easy than levitating a pencil across a room). However, over time she displayed further control over fine matter. (For example, turning invisible by vibrating her own molecules, keeping an atomic bomb contained, and creating a telekinetic bubble inside of a brain, & exploding said bubble).
- Psionic Constructs: The power to project tangible extensions from the mind. She can craft tools, objects, weapons or other items out of psionic energy, Often appearing as brightly colored purple light, but may sometimes be invisible, if she desires. Limits simply include Psylocke's imagination. Due to her total recall from her telepathy, she can make exact replicas of anything she imagines. Psylocke has used this ability for a variety of applications:
- Telekinetic Katana: Psylocke can manifest a telekinetic katana blade composed of raw psi-energy, which at its lowest intensity, functions to disrupt neural pathways and sever the bonds between molecules, and at its highest level, her katanas can slice an armored opponent and cut through the armor, but leave the attacker physically unharmed or harmed, if she desires. She can also use her swords to shatter telepathic power-inhibitors imposed on others. Psylocke's telekinetic manifestations produce visible radiance in the physical world. Thus, she can use her psychic katana as a makeshift light source in areas of darkness.
- Swords or staves for battle, protection, or intimidation
- Armor or shields, for defense
- Ram to break through tough defenses
- Safe to hold a precious item for a short period of time, often requires her to stay very close.
- Keys for picking locks or starting vehicles
- Vehicles/small craft for protection in dangerous situations, may take riders. (Reentry capsule, war-zone walker)
- Prints- Betsy is skilled enough to replicate fingerprints or retinas to enter secure locations secretly
- Projections- Betsy can trick people into thinking her constructs are real life items.
- Tactile Telekinesis: Betsy tends to use her telekinetic power in this form. She protects herself with a constant field of telekinetic energy enveloping her body. This grants her super strength, speed, jumping, and invulnerability.
- Flight: By using her telekinesis to levitate herself, Psylocke can fly at incredible speeds. She is able to reach a flight speed of at least twice the speed of sound (Approx. 1500 mph)
- Telekinetic Strength: Can lift up to approx. 30 tons of combined weight (=60,000 lbs).
- Concussive Blasts: Could project her telekinetic energies as powerful blast beams directed from her brain that can affect matter with concussive force. Her telekinetic blasts were possibly the strongest on earth, strong enough to punch through solid steel. Her blasts are able to stun or even kill an opponent.
- Force Fields: Ability to create protective force shields that could deflect even the most powerful of attacks (even filter bacteria from the air). She can sustain shields that can withstand Jovian atmospheric pressures, and even repel nuclear weapon attacks. The upper limits of this ability remain unknown, but it is believed that she could probably protect herself from harm at the ground zero detonation of a 1 kiloton nuclear warhead (4.18 terajoules of energy from the heat, concussion, and radiation effects) with ease. Psylocke has also displayed such control over the fields as to shape them precisely, even to conform very closely to her body’s form. There does not appear to be any correlation between field strength and the thickness of the telekinetic fields.
- Telekinetic Defense: the ability to freeze projectiles in mid-air, protecting her from oncoming attacks.
- Ensnare Opponent: The ability to constrict a foe using their own clothing and hair, or even control their gross movements, providing their clothes are durable enough.
- Telekinetic Animation: The ability to cause inanimate objects to move according to will by projecting part of their psionic energies into them.
- Psionic Spikes: The ability to create destructive psionic spikes that destroy the physical objects that the spikes come into contact with.
- Master Telepathic Combatant: As a telepath, Psylocke takes advantage of her powers in a fight by reading her opponents' movements seconds before they make them, giving her the opportunity to counter-attack faster, and she can also use her telepathy to mask her presence from other people, humans and super-humans alike. She also creates telepathic illusions to distract her enemies while fighting them and as a ninja, she uses her psychic knife to incapacitate her opponents without killing them, though she has less inhibitions about doing so and will if necessary.
- Advanced Telekinetic Combatant: As a telekinetic, she often used her powers to augment her strength and speed, which made her fighting skills so strong that she was able to match and even outmatch other superhumanly strong opponents like a holographic version of Sabretooth in the Danger Room. Psylocke was also able to match Rogue’s attacks during a training session, despite the fact that Rogue had greatly enhanced speed and strength at the time.
- Master Martial Artist: Betsy is an expert in various forms of Korean martial arts due to training she had received from her mother while growing up. She later received formal training in a mixture of Jujutsu, Kenjutsu, and Ninjutsu from her training in Japan. She also learned various different techniques and methods from studying different martial artists in action/martial arts movies such as Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li. Psylocke has been classified as a master martial artist, though the specific fighting arts she has mastered have never been revealed.
- Kuk Sool Won: It attempts to be a comprehensive study of all Korean martial arts. In Hyuk Suh's philosophy regarding his system is to "Integrate and explore the entire spectrum of established Asian martial arts, body conditioning techniques, mental development, and weapons training. Kuk Sool includes (but is not limited to) the following sets of techniques:
- Joint locking/breaking: Various joint locks are employed in Kuk Sool, including wrist locks, arm-bars, and small joint manipulation.
- Soo Ki (Hand Striking): Palm, fist, wrist, finger, closed hand, open hand, arm, shoulder and pressure-point striking techniques.
- Johk Sool (Kicking Techniques): Spinning, jumping, combination, double-leg, and pressure-point kicks.
- Throwing and Grappling (Tu Ki & Jap Ki): Body throws, projection throws, leg throws, pressure-point grappling, grappling defense, wrestling, and ground-fighting techniques.
- Nak Bup (Falling Principles): Falling techniques are taught in Kuk Sool. These techniques allow a practitioner to fall into a variety of positions while minimizing injury. This is typically accomplished through maximizing the surface area on impact to prevent damaging force on an isolated area of the body.
- Animal-Style Techniques: Tiger, Mantis, Crane, Dragon, Snake, Bear, Eagle etc.
- Traditional Korean Weapons: Sword (short, long, single and double, straight and inverted), staff (short, middle and long, single and double), jeol bong (double and triple sectioned; also known as nunchucks and sansetsukon), knife, spear, wol do (Moon knife - a Korean halberd), sam-ji chang (triple tipped spear, trident, or dangpa), cane, rope, fan, and the bow and arrow (taught in the traditional style, using a thumb draw).
- Martial Art Healing Methods: Acupressure, acupuncture, internal energy, herbal medicine.
- Meditation and Breathing Techniques: Meditation and breathing postures and concentration techniques.
- Concert Level Pianist: Due to viewing many talented pianists perform, she is an extraordinary pianist.
- Graceful Dancer: Due to training since the age of 7, Psylocke is an excellent dancer.
- Master Acrobat: Due to watching tapes of acrobats in circuses, she is proficient in the field gymnastics and acrobatics.
- Expert Marksman: Due to watching tapes of knife throwers and marksman, she is an expert marksman capable of throwing objects of almost any sort with phenomenal accuracy and sharpshooting.
- Multilingual: Betsy is able to read, write, and speak foreign languages after seeing them written or spoken one time. As a result, she is fluent in multiple languages. She can understand people by reading their lips and learned to speak by watching their tongues. Since she was a young girl, she has known Japanese and English as her household languages.
Betsy possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise. She can increase her strength by bolstering it with her telekinetic ability.
Equipment: None known.
Transportation: None known.
Weapons: None known.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Ellijabeseu Braddock (Earth-515)
- Character Gallery: Ellijabeseu Braddock (Earth-515)
- Quotations by Ellijabeseu Braddock (Earth-515)
Discover and Discuss
- Search News for: · ·
Links and References